+ Reply to Thread

Certifications
    CompTIA A+ Net+ | Sec+ | MCTS: Win 7 MCP | MTA NF | MTA OSF

Default Windows 10 exams

Hi All.

I was planning to do the Windows 10 certs in a year or so after taking my MCITP to upgrade to Windows Server 2012, but after a disappointing call to MS I now need to scrap my plans and rethink my certification path.

So I'm thinking of doing Windows 10 now. Might as well prepare myself and become a valuable team member when my company decides to upgrade.

Do I need to take both the 70-697 and 70-698 to get my MCSA in Windows 10? If so, what study resources would you all suggest I use? I was thinking CBT Nuggets might be a good start? Also, is it worth going for the MCSE afterwards? are there any pre-requisites to the Windows 10 exams?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Skyliinez92; 07-31-2017 at 02:18 PM.
    Currently working at: MCSA: Windows 10 (70-698, 70-697)
    2018/2019 Goals: MCSE: Mobility, MCSA: Windows Server 2012, RHCSA

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't." - Anon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
    I just passed the 698, working on 697 right now, and yes, you need to do both for the MCSA. I'm using a combination of the Microsoft Exam Ref books and my CBT Nuggets account to get through it. So far I smashed the exam, so I feel confident in the resources I'm using.

And yes, I'm doing the MCSE: Mobility afterwards. I've chosen to do 70-695: Deploying Windows Devices and Enterprise Apps.

There are no pre-reqs for the Windows 10 MCSA.
    Desktop: MCSE: Mobility | Server: MTA | Cloud: None | Networking: MTA
    Security: None | Linux: None | Service Management: ITIL 2011: Foundation
    Currently Studying: 70-417 - Upgrading Your Skills to MCSA Windows Server 2012 R2
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Thanks for the quick response. I've used CBT Nuggets before so have no doubt in their study material. I've not really been a man for books, I've mainly used video content and labs to perform the actions myself. Would you say this book is beneficial? How long did it take you to study and pass the 698?

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't." - Anon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

I did it in a month. I cross-referenced the book to the videos and made notes directly into the book as I studied it. I guess it's down to how you study. I work well with a hybrid video and book mix. I find the book beneficial because it's nice to have the ability to scan back and forth quickly over something (for me at least) rather than stopping and starting a video or switching to another video.
    Currently Studying: 70-417 - Upgrading Your Skills to MCSA Windows Server 2012 R2
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, MCP, MCSA: Windows Server 2012/2016, BTEC Level 2 Diploma in ICT Professional Competence
    Looking at doing Windows 10 after my upgrade to Server 2016.

I've been using Windows 10 since day 1, so am quite familiar with Troubleshooting and Configuration. How much more/if any hands-on would you feel I need in order to pass both 70-697 & 70-698?
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCP, MCSA: Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2016
    Studying: Exam 70-698: Installing and Configuring Windows 10
    Want: MCSA: Windows 10, MCSA: Office 365, MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (Exam 70-744: Securing Windows Server 2016), Network+, Security+
    Reply With Quote Quote  

698 is definitely the easier of the two, and more focused on Windows 10 itself. 697 is more about integration of services on Windows devices, and a bit bigger/complex. Have a look at the exam blueprints for more information there. I did 698 first to get the easy one done and as kind of a warm-up, hehe.

If you've been working on Windows 10 for a while, I would say a few videos or a read-through should bring you to a decent level. Of course, mileage may vary, as everyone is different.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, MCP, MCSA: Windows Server 2012/2016, BTEC Level 2 Diploma in ICT Professional Competence
    All depends on what build they use for the exam. Use 1703 at work/home but Works PCs are 1511

I'm going to use Exam Ref books and some videos especially around Intune and Azure AD.
    Want: MCSA: Windows 10, MCSA: Office 365, MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (Exam 70-744: Securing Windows Server 2016), Network+, Security+
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I'm going to do my 698 first as it seems the most sensible option. Not sure why they didn't swap the exam number around to be in order but oh well. Hopefully my 70-680 should give me a big push in obtaining the 698.

I may not be able to do the 697 until early next year due to work and finance, but will the 698 still earn me an MCTS in the meantime?

Reply With Quote Quote  

Quote Originally Posted by Skyliinez92 View Post
    I may not be able to do the 697 until early next year due to work and finance, but will the 698 still earn me an MCTS in the meantime?
    I didn't get an MCTS for it. I don't think it offers anything for passing 698 or 697 unless they are combined. From what I understand, MCTS is a legacy certification.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I take it because you don't get the MCTS anymore, its make taking one or the other kinda pointless unless you get the MCSA by passing both?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

If you're after the certification side of things, yes. The exam does still appear on your transcript however, so it's still worth putting there if you intend to use it to gain a job or want to showcase it. But yes, if you are doing it for the letters, MCSA is the only one you get when you complete both.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Level 99 Wizard Skyliinez92's Avatar

Certifications
    I've gone through 1/3 of the CBT Nugget course so far and following along with labs (698.). A lot of the content is similar to the 70-680 so it's easier to follow along as I've already done the Windows 7 exam. I've set myself a deadline by the end of September to take this exam, so if I push myself I could do the 697 by the end of the year and get my MCSA before 2018. When I reach the end of August I'll get my MeasureUp practice test and try to blast through it before the exam.

I feel like I have a purpose now, yay! Sort of lost myself after finding out my MCITP was a waste, but I'm back at it and ready to get my next MS cert .

Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I looked at CBT Nugget but the price is like holy cow. Anyone know a way I can get it cheaper?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyliinez92 View Post
    I feel like I have a purpose now, yay! Sort of lost myself after finding out my MCITP was a waste, but I'm back at it and ready to get my next MS cert .
    I'm like that now. After the split with my long term partner, I'm just doing MCSA exams to take my mind off the break-up, and hopefully compel myself up in IT. Cure for a broken heart is getting and pushing for an MCSA - not ice cream
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Level 99 Wizard Skyliinez92's Avatar

Certifications
    Yea they are pretty expensive but worth it in the end. There are other ways of finding it 'cheaper' but I can't recommend it.

Sorry to hear about your relationship. Definitely take your mind off it and work towards your skillset and career!

Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Okay, I might need to look at that option then for my Win10 and O365 exams, although I don't really have the money to afford it. I always find videos better than reading a book - Especially around things like DNS and IPAM ZzZzZzZ

Thanks - crap happens, need to get my head down and focus on my qualifications whilst I get half price exams as a 'student' got a year left of that luxury. However, that's going to be hard as my college need X amount of people to run an exam session, and like at least 80% of the other apprentices didn't care with their Server 2012 MCP exams. Oh well, First apprentice at the college to get their MCSA: Server 2012
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks