+ Reply to Thread
  1. Member

Certifications
    A+, Apple Certified Associate 10.11

Default Starting to study for 70-698

I've decided to start studying for this exam. I'm currently working as a help desk lead in a small law firm. I've been using Windows 10 for at least a year and a half now but the firm I work at is now going through a Windows 10 upgrade. I've been getting a lot of questions from my end users so I figured why not sharpen up my knowledge and skills. While I am looking to get the certification, my main goal is to gain the knowledge to make my job easier. My job offers a CBT nuggets subscription and I just ordered the Microsoft Press Reference book. I plan to use the videos and the book as my main source of information along with my day to day hands on experience at work. I've come across a few other resources for studying that I may add in just to be thorough. I think I may be able to finish the CBT nuggets videos by next week. My book is due to arrive next Friday.

Based on this background information do you think it is reasonable to plan to take the test by January 15th? I've never taken a Microsoft exam before. The last cert I took was the Apple Integration Basics exam which was an at home open book test. Prior to that it was my A+ and Net+ about 7 years ago.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    CompTIA A+ Net+ | Sec+ | MCTS: Win 7 MCP | MTA NF | MTA OSF
    If you've never taken a Microsoft exam before then beware. Their exam questions are more structured and detailed than the typical factual-based questions from CompTIA. They expect you to answer 'the Microsoft way' and not your typical techie method of doing things.

January 15th is a good deadline and will give you enough time to study. The CBT Nuggets videos are a great resource (I'm using them at the moment) along with your MS book. I would also strongly recommend using labs as another main resource. Seeing as this is your first exam, it's best to practice everything you learn so you understand it more. I know the CBT course comes with some pre-built labs, but making your own to use outside of that is a bonus.

I also recommend you take a few practice exams before the real thing so you can test your knowledge. MeasureUps is a good practice test vendor that is recommended by MS and they are at the same level that you would expect from the real test. If you score between 80-90% you know you are ready. I think you can even by a voucher code from Microsoft if you purchase the bundle kit for the 70-698. Good luck!
    Currently working at: MCSA: Windows 10 (70-698, 70-697)
    2018/2019 Goals: MCSE: Mobility, MCSA: Windows Server 2012, RHCSA

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't." - Anon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Member

Certifications
    Thanks! I'm more than halfway through the CBT nuggets videos and my Microsoft Exam reference book came in the mail yesterday. I'm also planning on going through the Microsoft Virtual Academy videos as well once I finish the CBT nuggets. I think the Virtual academy videos line up better with the Microsoft book.

I definitely plan on doing lots of practice exams before taking the actual test. I figure between my studying and real life hands on experience I should be very ready for this exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Member

Certifications
    I have a question about BitLocker. The videos, and the Ref book all state that a TPM chip is not needed for BitLocker. Yet, every time I try to enable BitLocker on a new computer I get an error stating that the TPM chip needs to be enabled in the BIOS. Once I do that I am able to use BitLocker. So, is the TPM chip necessary for BitLocker?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSA:Windows 10, MCP, Installation, Storage, and Compute with Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation 2011
    No, you dont need a TPM. You can enable this in the Local Group Policy to bypass this.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-u...ion-windows-10
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A TPM is required by default in Windows to use Bitlocker, however as malachi1612 suggested, this can be disabled by modifying the group policy settings. There are some motherboards that don't have a physical TPM chip on the boards so this policy change would be essential.

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't." - Anon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Member

Certifications
    Thank you Malachi and Skyliinez. So if the question comes up on the test I should answer that the TPM is NOT required for Bitlocker? Basically, I'm looking for the "Microsoft answer".
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSA:Windows 10, MCP, Installation, Storage, and Compute with Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation 2011
    The MS answer is no, as it's mentioned in the MS documentation bitlocker can be used without a TPM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Member

Certifications
    Just updating this so I can track my progress. I've finished watching all of the CBT videos, and the MS Virtual Academy videos. I took my first Transcender practice test and scored a 45. I have to admit it wasn't under the most ideal conditions, there were several interruptions and I rushed it at the end. The plan for the next week is to go through the MS Press book and do as many hands on labs as possible. I'm thankful that my job is going through a Windows 10 migration currently so I am able to really get my hands dirty with real life lab work. I'll try another practice exam in a week.
    Last edited by logisticalstyles; 12-06-2017 at 02:46 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Level 99 Wizard Skyliinez92's Avatar

Certifications
    I'm planning to take my 70-698 around the end of January. I finished my CBT Nuggets course and working off the notes and VM's currently. I bought a MeasureUp practice test which I will start taking in the new year and see if my training has paid off. As I have recently obtained my 70-680 for Windows 7, there is a lot of crossover so I'm hoping it won't be too difficult. I think my main focus points are the Windows 10 core services and ICD.

I've used MeasureUps in the past and highly recommend it. I've always found it to be at the same level as the exam, if not harder. You can customize it any way you want to meet exam conditions and if you start scoring 80-90% you know you're ready for the exam. If you purchase the 70-698 bundle kit it comes with an exam voucher and the practice test included.

Good luck in your studies. It will be interesting to see how you find the course/exam and compare notes.

Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks