+ Reply to Thread
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    MSISA, CISSP, ECES, CHFI, CNDA, CEH, MCSA: Win7, MCITP:EA, Security+, MCTS, MCPS(x3), SAIC SAST Level 3

Default 70-686 Exam Question (KMS)

Hoping that I might get some feedback from someone who has already passed the 70-686. I'm taking it again next week, and keep getting stuck on the KMS questions. I'm using ************** exams, and using the Microsoft.********s.70-686.MCITP.v2013-02-27.by.Gillbeast version. The question gives a scenario where I have a core office with two KMS servers and 1000 clients, a branch office over a private connection with 10 clients, and another branch office over the public internet, but with a VPN, with 50 clients. In the question, I am to deploy Windows 7 to all client computers and make sure that the branch offices can activate Windows. I keep getting this one wrong as I forget what answer they want. They said I need to deploy a KMS server in the branch office with 50 clients. I'm not sure why. What I'm trying to find out is....what can't 50 client computers activate over the public/vpn connections back to the core network, which already has 2 KMS servers? Seems like a lot of extra effort to deploy another KMS server. Any insight into this from someone who is either a KMS expert or seen this on the exam?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS
  3. xnx

Certifications
    BSc IT & CSc, CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S + Other vendor certs..
    Probably because KMS uses a lot of traffic and in the past the traffic required to do the periodic checks would have been a lot
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    MSISA, CISSP, ECES, CHFI, CNDA, CEH, MCSA: Win7, MCITP:EA, Security+, MCTS, MCPS(x3), SAIC SAST Level 3
    I've read that KMS uses very little traffic, comparable to DHCP. The only thing I can find is they say KMS is used when you have a dedicated connection. I would think though that using a VPN would qualify.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks