+ Reply to Thread

Certifications
    CompTIA A+ Net+ | Sec+ | MCTS: Win 7 MCP | MTA NF | MTA OSF

Default Is the 70-680 still worth it?

Hey guys. I've recently completed my Security+ exam and got the full CompTIA trio now! I was wondering what my next course of action could be for certifications? I attempted my 70-680 a couple of years ago and failed, but recently got a lot of knowledge in it. I was thinking of the certification path below, but is it worth it, considering Windows 10 is out now?

- 70-680 + 70-686 for MCITP in Windows 7 Admin
    - 70-417 to upgrade to MCSA Windows Server 2012
    - 70-413 + 70-414 to upgrade to MCSE Windows Server 2012

I've done a lot of sysadmin and support work in the past, and currently working in security and biometrics, which has allowed me to touch base on Redhat 5 and a little Oracle.

Could anyone suggest what my next plan of action should be? I'm really on board to do the exams above but is it worth it? Is there other exams I should focus on more?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
    Windows 7 is not really worth getting certified in in my opinion - go to the current technology (Win 10) and get certified in this so you can be ready when your company or future employer need it - having those skills could easily get you into the team developing the new desktop build or environment and it has the benefit of having a much longer shelf life than Windows 7.

You also ask for advice on direction, but fail to say what you want to do or be - give us something to work with here so we can give meaningful feedback rather than vague suggestions. For example, do you want to move into 3rd line support, server support, networking, security, programming, Oracle or buy a pair of sandals and become a unix/linus support geek?

thanks
    Iain
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Junior Member Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyliinez92 View Post

- 70-680 + 70-686 for MCITP in Windows 7 Admin
    - 70-417 to upgrade to MCSA Windows Server 2012
    - 70-413 + 70-414 to upgrade to MCSE Windows Server 2012

I have the exact same thing planned. My company is currently running Win7 and I already have the 70-680. At some point I will probably pick up the Win10 MCSA as well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CompTIA A+ Net+ | Sec+ | MCTS: Win 7 MCP | MTA NF | MTA OSF
    My main course of action is the SysAdmin route, and maybe do a bit of Linux in the future (got my sandals ready!), so I would love to have the MCSE cert and this path sounds like the best. I can always take an upgrade for the Win 10 certs if I need them but for now I know a lot of businesses, especially my own, are still using Win 7. I feel like if I did the MCTS now after a week of training I could pass, and think it may be easier to get to the MCSE by using the upgrade path with 70-417. I just hope MS don't have any plans to discontinue any of these yet.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks