+ Reply to Thread

Certifications
    CompTIA A+ Net+ | Sec+ | MCTS: Win 7 MCP | MTA NF | MTA OSF

Default How difficult is the 70-686 compared to the 680?

I'm starting to prepare for the 686 exam to get my MCITP and I wanted to know from peoples experience how difficult it is? What should I know before I take the exam? How different is it from the 680?
    Currently working at: MCSA: Windows 10 (70-698, 70-697)
    2018/2019 Goals: MCSE: Mobility, MCSA: Windows Server 2012, RHCSA

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't." - Anon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+,
    I wish I could help you buddy, but unfortunately i'm doing the 70-680. I would imagine from others who have done it before me, they did the 685 for some and some did the 686. The 686 seems to be harder than the 685 as it's more "in-depth" is what I have heard from their personal experiences.

How was the 70-680? I'm prepping for that exam now....(Any tips?)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Yea I would guess its harder than the 685, I'm doing the 686 to get my MCITP for Windows 7 and can upgrade that to the MCSA for Windows Server. I think the 686 includes stuff about active directory and domains as its more administrator than tecnician side.

If the 680 is your first MS exam, don't take it for granted. Compared to the CompTIA series they are more 'situation' questions. CompTIA would ask you basic facts and a few, 'what if' questions. Microsoft takes it further and gives you different scenarios and expects you to answer it 'the Microsoft way'. I did it after my A+ and failed. Did it again after my Net+ and Sec+ with solid study and passed.

My advice, use labs all the way. You need to see for yourself and practice how to do something instead of just reading about it, e.g. migrate data between PCs using USMT, create a WinPE disk etc...

Check out Professor Messer's videos on the 680 course. It's free and he goes into a lot of detail and shows you how to do stuff. Also try some practice exams at MeasureUps, these really helped to see if I was ready before the real test. I think Microsoft have a deal on until the end of September, buy the exam voucher and get 4 free retakes plus 30 days use on MeasureUps. Might be worth checking it out. When's your exam? Let me know how you do?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/lear...am-70-680.aspx (click the Booster Pack option at the top).

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't." - Anon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    B.S. in Information Technology, A.A.S. in Electronics and Computer Technology, MCITP 7, MCSA 8.1, A+, P+, N+, S+, and a ton of CIW' s
    I am super confused here, are you testing for Windows 7 exams in October 2016???

I thought all windows 7 exams were retired, and thus no one could test for them?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Sec+, MCDST, MCTS
    Quote Originally Posted by bub9001 View Post
    I am super confused here, are you testing for Windows 7 exams in October 2016???

I thought all windows 7 exams were retired, and thus no one could test for them?
    Nope,the Windows 7 exams are still active. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/lear...ification.aspx
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Yes they are still active. The reason I'm still doing it is because I already have my 70-680 and would like the 686 for my MCITP. Plus it can be upgraded to the MCSA Server 2012 cert with just 1 exam instead of doing 3.

Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    A+, Security+, Network+
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyliinez92 View Post
    Yes they are still active. The reason I'm still doing it is because I already have my 70-680 and would like the 686 for my MCITP. Plus it can be upgraded to the MCSA Server 2012 cert with just 1 exam instead of doing 3.

I think that you might want to look at your upgrade path again. According to Microsoft you can only use the 70-417 upgrade path to the MCSA 2012 server cert if, (and only if) you have already earned and have an active MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 already. Since the MCITP cert is not earnable at this juncture you will not have the ability to simple use 70-417 to skip over the 70-412 and 70-413 to get to MCSA: Server .
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    I was confused at first but spoke to different MS reps on 3 different occasions to confirm and they all said I can still obtain the MCITP and upgrade with the 70-417.

Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks