+ Reply to Thread
  1. Junior Member

Certifications
    70-680

Wink 70-680 Passed !!

Hi guys ! Just passed my 70-680 (yesterday afternoon), I'm really over the moon !
    First of all I really want to thank all of you because it's discovering this forum that I happen to know Professor Messer, 70-680 Official book and other extremely useful pieces of information about the MS Exams.. so just.. Thank you !

A short and brief piece of writing about my experience.
    I'm a Help Desk Technician at an Italian Company's IT department. The exam was tough to me because I've always worked with Win 7 Pro so I'd never heard about topics like BrancChache or DirectAccess - and so on - before starting studying for the exam.

Here's my preparation, that took about 3 weeks :
    - Watched all the Professor Messer's Videos
    - Watched all the ITFreeTraining Videos
    - Purchased the Professor Messer Notes about the 70-680
    - Purchased the Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-680)

Ok, now the questions part :

I'm a beginner in the MS Certifications field so ... what is better to do now ? I'm thinking about the 70-685 ... would it be a correct choice or do you have any better pieces of advice ?

For my next exam I'd like to buy the replay ticket package but.. what if I pass the test on my first try ? Will I either waste the replay ticket or will I be able to use it for my next certification ?

thanks in advance,
    a huge hello and happy holidays from Italy
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Junior Member
    Congrats,, I am envious, I wannabe next in the queue of pass candidates. Thanks for this post
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Bachelors of Science in IT, MTA, SEC+, CSA+, CASP, C|EH, OSCP
    I would suggest maybe going for some vendor neutral certs like the CompTIA Security +
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member

Certifications
    70-680
    Quote Originally Posted by McxRisley View Post
    I would suggest maybe going for some vendor neutral certs like the CompTIA Security +
    Never heard about CompTIA certifications (I've just had a brief reading of their website).
    How much are they valuable or taken in consideration by employers compared to the MS Certifications ?
    Thanks a lot for your answer though !
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Network +, MTA: 98-366, 367,MCP, MCTS Win 7, VCP-DCV, MCSA SERVER 2012, MCTS Hyper-V
    Congrats! Excellent News
    Certs Gained 2017: 70-410, 70-411,74-409, MCSA Server 2012r2
    Upcoming: Security +, ITIL FOUNDATIONS, 70-345 Exchange Server 2016, Ccent

“Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.” - 1 Thessalonians 5:11
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CASP, SEC+, NET+, A+, NST, CST, ACE...
    Congrats!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Bachelors of Science in IT, MTA, SEC+, CSA+, CASP, C|EH, OSCP
    They are more valuable than MS certs because they are vendor neutral and confirm a wider array of knowledge instead of just one platform. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking MS certs, Just saying that unless you apply for a job the requires a specific MS cert (which is a pretty rare thing, unless it has to do with servers) CompTIA is probably the better choice.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Junior Member

Certifications
    70-680
    Quote Originally Posted by McxRisley View Post
    Just saying that unless you apply for a job the requires a specific MS cert (which is a pretty rare thing, unless it has to do with servers) CompTIA is probably the better choice.
    thanks for clarifying it first of all.
    I've been a Desktop Support Techinician for 6 years and now I'd like to move abroad with my wife. Since I've got a rather wide experience on Windows PCs I'll still looking for a Desktop Support Job, maybe with a higher role or responsibility.

Given that, I was wondering : would it be better to get the 70-685 or get the Windows 10 MCSA (697-69?

Anyway , I have time, so I'll certainly have a think about CompTIA.

(forgive my english if it's not always perfect, I'm italian and I live in italy)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications
    CompTIA Network+, MCP, MCTS: Windows 7
    Considering you're in Italy, I recommend to look at job boards and see what certifications employers are looking for in your chosen path.

For example in the UK, Cisco is in demand in most networking jobs.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Junior Member

Certifications
    70-680
    Quote Originally Posted by Nisseki View Post
    Considering you're in Italy, I recommend to look at job boards and see what certifications employers are looking for in your chosen path.

For example in the UK, Cisco is in demand in most networking jobs.
    Actually, since my wife's going to stay in Dublin for a month (8 Jan - 8 Feb) and I'm going to visit her (18-25) we are considering Dublbin as a contry to move in (we have also a couple of friends there).

I had a brief look over the job posts about Helpdesk related jobs and they say the MS Certifications are not mandatory but they will be highly appreciated. Many job offers demand knowledge of both Win7 and Win10 and some AD.

That's basically why I've chosen to start getting some MS Certification. And I have to say that seeing "PASSED" on the screen made me feel a lot proud of myself and gave me a rather big dose of self confidence.

Cisco is for who's got deep knowledge and understaing of networking . I don't by now , just superficially, enough to manage and troubleshoot clients .

Thanks for your answer Nisseki !

(I have time to think though.. we plan to move not sooner than March/April of the next ("this" within a couple of hours actually).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Level 99 Wizard Skyliinez92's Avatar

Certifications
    CompTIA A+ Net+ | Sec+ | MCTS: Win 7 MCP | MTA NF | MTA OSF
    Congrats on the pass! It's definitely a toughie and always a good feeling once you've beaten such a hard exam .

Just looking at what you and others have written in this forum, I would recommend the following based on my own experience:

- Do either the 685 or 686 to get your MCITP. I'm currently doing my 686 as it awards the MCITP for an Enterprise Admin. You could do the 685 to get your Desktop Technician cert in an MCITP, but it doesn't have any upgrade paths if you decide to do the Windows 10 exam or an MCSA in Windows Server for example. Take a look at the link and decide which option is best for your position and role at work. Either way, I wouldn't recommend you skip this option. You're half way towards your Professional level cert, don't let it go to waste.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/lear...ification.aspx

- Reading on what McxRisley said, CompTIA certs are a good line of certs to get which cover a wide range of technologies in a certain field, for example, Security in the Sec+. They are globally recognised and definitely worth having, however they are not more valuable than MS or Cisco. A lot of people I see on these forums go for a cert like the Network+, then go straight for the CCNA. They used the CompTIA certs to boost them up to the level where they felt ready for the CCNA. I did the 'CompTIA trio' before my 70-680, and it definitely helped towards it (failed 70-680 twice before Net+ and Sec+, then passed first time straight after).

- If you do another MS cert I would recommend going for the double-shot or free retake option, whatever they have at the time. It won't be a waste if you pass first time, it just reassures you that you don't need to pay hundreds for a retake if you did fail. When I did my 70-680, I did the 4 retakes and practice exam option, which was only an extra Ł60 on top of the original price of the exam. I felt that it calmed my nerves slightly as I wasn't thinking "oh what happens if I fail I have to rebuy the exam..." so I could focus on what was in the test. I'll be getting an extra retake with my 686 when I take it in Feb.

Overall my advice would be to take the 686 next. You already have your 680, why not get one more exam done to get your MCITP. The 686 can then let you take the 'upgrade exams' to get a single exam out of the way and get your MCSA, or your Windows 10 exam, if you wanted to. I'll be taking the 70-417 after my 686 to get my MCSA in Windows Server 2012. I would also recommend going for the Sec+ exam from CompTIA. Out of the three the Sec+ is the most rewarding (and hardest) exam. Don't worry about the Net+ or even the A+, you can do the CCNA at some point if you really wanted to get into networking. The A+ is more of a beginner cert, so would be pointless getting at your level.

That's just my advice, it's up to you what you decide to do. The best thing to do is plan your future and find out what your job role is/will be in 2017. Are you a sysadmin, looking after a number of users and servers but also the assets and software? Are you going to focus more in Networking or Security? Where do you want to be in 6/12 months time?

Sorry if I've rambled on too much, but I hope some of this helps . If you decide to do your 686, follow my thread on the Win7 forum. I'll be updating my progress up to my exam date. Good luck!
    Currently working at: MCSA: Windows 10 (70-698, 70-697)
    2018/2019 Goals: MCSE: Mobility, MCSA: Windows Server 2012, RHCSA

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't." - Anon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Junior Member

Certifications
    70-680
    Wow Skyliinez92 , thanks a lot for taking so much time to answer !

I took a look at the link you provided about the MCITP cert and I will certainly consider that as an option.
    However , I'd rather take the MCSA for Windows 10 (698 & 697) for three main reasons :

- Windows 10 is a much newer OS and it's different from Windows 7. Getting this certifications will allow me to prove my skills about 7 and 10 (I think the two most widely used Windows OSs)
    - 697 covers a lot of topic about technologies I've never got in touch with like Azure , Hyper-V , Intune , O365. It'll be an occasion for learning new topics and getting my technical skills and knowledge wider and better.
    - I'm not saying I'm putting the idea of 685 away but I prefer to give priority to the Win10 MCSA.

What do you think about my plan ?

thanks in advance.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Level 99 Wizard Skyliinez92's Avatar

Certifications
    There's nothing wrong with that, sounds like a good plan. I hope to do my Windows 10 cert soon, hopefully after my MCSE if I haven't already killed myself from these Microsoft exams!

Even though Windows 10 is the latest OS, Windows 7 and it's technologies are still widely used across many businesses, both for the client and back end configuration. The reason I'm doing my 686 is because it covers a lot of image deployment strategies and administration tools, which I'm doing currently in my job. If MS decide to release an additional Windows 10 exam, possibly aimed at MCSE level, it may cover these administrative technologies too, some that weren't covered in the 697.

But either way having both Windows 7 and Windows 10 on your CV/resume is a golden ticket for any organisation, so whatever your role is or what path you decide to go is always going to make you valuable to any company. Let me know how your studying goes for the 697/698, I'm interested to know how it compares to the 680 .

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't." - Anon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Junior Member Registered Member
    Hi all,

Im in the phase of preparation. As the guys said in the begining that he -

Watched all the Professor Messer's Videos
    - Watched all the ITFreeTraining Videos

I have watched all that and did the practical again and again in my laptop. I am running virtual machines under VMware to practice.

Just one thing I wanted to ask that 'Is it really true that one can easily pass the exam by memorizing questions and answers from exam dumps ?'
    Since, I am nearly finishing my training and will repeat all practice, I might as well pay for some recent exam dumps and memorize everything (around 600 questions)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Level 99 Wizard Skyliinez92's Avatar

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by samuel.mcsa2016 View Post
    'Is it really true that one can easily pass the exam by memorizing questions and answers from exam dumps ?'
    I would strongly advise staying away from dumps. They are a poor source of cheap studying and won't get you far in the business world. Plus a lot of 'dumps' you find online are fake, and will stray you away from the real content in the exam, causing you to fail. Best practice is to use Labs. I did the 70-680 just by watching PM's vids and doing labs based on what he was showing in each video.

Just look over each technology in the 70-680 and ask yourself if you understand it. Can you migrate data with USMT and exclude certain users? Can you create an image and deploy it from start to finish using WinPE, ImageX, DISM, WDS...? Can you enable Bitlocker via the Group Policy and force users to encrypt without using a TPM?

Labs is the best method of remembering how to do something. If you feel that you want to test your knowledge and do a practice exam before the real thing, use MeasureUps. MS recommend it for their exams and all tests are customisable with detailed responses for all answers.

IT Certification Practice Tests and Exams | Online Courses | MeasureUp

Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    CCENT, A+, Network+, Server+, MTA OS Fundamentals, MTA Networking Fundamentals, MTA Mobility and Device Fundamentals, MCP Configuring Windows 7
    I just passed it today! I used mostly the Prof. Messer videos and study guide. MeasureUp questions helped also.

And I strongly recommend doing labs if you can.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Level 99 Wizard Skyliinez92's Avatar

Certifications
    Congrats DR14!

Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks