+ Reply to Thread
  1. Junior Member

Default Can i Lab on Windows 7 Ultimate instead of 2008 Server R2 ?

Hi,

I am having a few errors in regard to setting up 2008 R2 on my virtual machine.
    I see that majority of labs can be performed via Windows 7(will download AIK for 7 too) , is there a specific need for 2008 R2 Server
    Thanks again
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS
  3. Member

Certifications
    MCP, MCTS: Windows 7
    Having a server is good for practising WDS, group policy, setting up shares and permissions for your Windows 7 clients etc.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    CISSP, CCSP, ITIL,PA ACE,A+
    Windows server 2008 is obsolete, use Windows server 2012.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCITP: EDA | MCTS: Win 7 | MCP | MTA NF | MTA OSF
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFORCE View Post
    Windows server 2008 is obsolete, use Windows server 2012.
    Server 2008 is the version used in the Windows 7 exams.

You may need it for practicing deployments and policies/settings across a small number of clients. I had 2008 R2 set up with a few Windows 7 clients (all different versions) and practiced group policy settings and tools such as Applocker to see how it affects the different clients.
    Last edited by Skyliinez92; 01-10-2017 at 12:18 PM.
    Currently working at: MCITP: Windows 7 Enterprise Desktop Administrator (70-680 | 70-686)
    2017/2018 Goals: MCSE: Server Infrastructure (70-417 | 70-413 | 70-414), CCNA Security, RHCSA

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't." - Anon
    "Work hard at it, nothing is impossible. JUST DO IT!" - Shia
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member
    Thanks for replies guys
    Has someone got a step by step tutorial in setting up the labs ?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Member

Certifications
    MCP, MCTS: Windows 7
    It's really easy once you resolve the errors yourself. I used VirtualBox and created one VM for Windows Server 2008 R2 and a few VMs for Windows 7, Vista and XP.

In each VM's network settings, I set it to internal network so they could communicate and also added NAT.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics
    Post the issues you get. Screenshots of errors can be very helpful to get things going if you're hitting a snag.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Junior Member
    Just managed getting around to settle for my studying so head on shoulders now, here for some guidance off you wise people sure i will have a lot to learn.
    Just a quick question regarding DNS in my domain controller settings shall i leave this blank as i have no personal 'home servers'?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Junior Member
    Also is NET USE only available to use through domains??
    keep getting error codes 53 64 67 net use i haven't shared or created domains
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Level 99 Wizard Skyliinez92's Avatar

Certifications
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCITP: EDA | MCTS: Win 7 | MCP | MTA NF | MTA OSF
    Net Use can be used on any network regardless of it being on a Domain or not. It allows you to connect and manage a shared resource. If you were on a peer-to-peer network with 3 other users, if they decide to share out one of their drives, you can use Net Use to map the drive to your list of shared drives.

I'm guessing you're trying to use ImageX and can't map the drive to save the wim to?
    Currently working at: MCITP: Windows 7 Enterprise Desktop Administrator (70-680 | 70-686)
    2017/2018 Goals: MCSE: Server Infrastructure (70-417 | 70-413 | 70-414), CCNA Security, RHCSA

"There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't." - Anon
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Junior Member
    Ok basically what i am trying to do it map a folder within NAS drive as a network share/drive.
    Shall i enable file discovery on within all windows and 2008 r2 servers ?
    my nas has a ip address of 192.168.1.14 (z: within windows) when i click on z: i have 'hard disk' click on this folder and then finally my 'backups' folder.
    Or shall i scrap using my NAS drive, can anyone point me in the right direction ?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Junior Member

Net commands to use

To setup a network share

Create a folder:
    Md c:\folder1

Share the folder over a network:
    Net share folder1=c:\folder1 /grant:everyone,full

Check status of share:
    Net share folder1

On a recipient client, find the share in the Network section in Windows Explorer

To map network share to a drive:
    Net use x: \\servername\folder1
    been recommended to follow these settings, gonna have play

Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Level 99 Wizard Skyliinez92's Avatar

Certifications
    The commands you used look fine to me. Look at PM's video on sharing resources as it might help:

Microsoft 70-680: 5.1 - Shared Resources | Professor Messer IT Certification Training Courses

Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks