+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123
  1. Junior Member Registered Member

Default windows 7 study group

Would like a study partner at barns n noble for studying windows 7. 70-680 exam I have Microsoft book I'm using
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Junior Member Registered Member
    I'm at the Barnes n noble near metro center prkey n 28th drive behind bank of America if anyone's intterested
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+
    This link doesn't work anymore.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Junior Member
    Good afternoon folks,

I'm new to the forum and came across it whilst doing a google search for good resource material for MCTS 70-680. The links provided by Claymore are absolutely fantastic! Good job I found this site. I'm looking to sit my exam on the 2nd Saturday of March which gives me enough time to cram a wealth of information into my head.

If anyone has any other tips or pointers they would be very much appreciated
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Junior Member DavidHoffmanJr's Avatar

Certifications
    CompTIA A+, A+ ce, Sec+, DCSE
    Hello Everyone,
    Thought I'd share my strategy on my way to passing the MCTS 70-680 exam which is now a REQUIREMENT for many successful government contractors in DC area.

First off, mental prep - thanks to TechExams, I was forwarned not to take this exam lightly. I starting carving out time immediately, and starting saving money to create a budget. In about 2 weeks, I was able to save money to buy the books I use. As seen here: http://www.techexams.net/members/dav...sed-70-680.jpg

http://www.techexams.net/members/dav...ing-70-680.jpg

I also got an old TV (free) from Craigslist and I bought a cheap DVD player. I set this up so I can watch Professor Messer videos while I study. Really helps to be able to PAUSE video, and then try the exercise, repeating what he is doing.

Here's the TV and cheap DVD player I got: http://www.techexams.net/members/dav...sed-70-680.jpg

I also got a couple of USB sticks so that I could follow along with Messer, and ITFreeTraining videos as seen here: http://www.techexams.net/members/dav...ticks-used.jpg

You can see the discs in the background that I also used.

Next is the labbing. You can use Microsoft Virtual Labs (Technet), or you can build your own. I did both! Failure is NOT an option! Here are a few snapshots of the 'Labbing' I did on Microsoft Virtual Labs, and my cheapo home MCTS 70-680 Lab setup. Now don't get worried about the cost. I did this for under $100 bucks. I bought osme old workstations, andupgraded the HD's, RAM, etc. then connect them to a KVM switch I found on Craigslist for about $20 bucks.

I setup virtual machines on my study workstation, and I also setup Server 2008 R2, and a reference machine (as seen in the photos).
    As far as the ACTUAL WORK EXPERIENCE, I would NOT RECOMMEND running anything at work, but Microsoft Virtual Labs might be ok. I spent my lunch breaks working in the MS VLABS, and reading the books. I also watch the videos (Both on DVD's I made, and on my iPhone whenever I get some free time). http://www.techexams.net/members/dav...ing-70-680.jpg

Here's a photo of my home MCTS 70-680 study lab: http://www.techexams.net/members/dav...sed-70-680.jpg

Like I said, although your employer may encourage you to pass your exam, be aware that in preparation for your exam, running certain tools on your enterprise could degrade network performance, so it's better to run in your lab environment.

I hope this helps! I'll share more if anyone is interested. Claymoore's work was a big boost and really encouraged me to go for this credential! Hope others follow as well.
    Last edited by DavidHoffmanJr; 04-26-2013 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Photos weren't loading for everyone based on device used to visit website
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSA, P+, CCNA, Security+, VCP6-DCV
    Thanks for sharing! I am studying for it now also but have not been able to give it 100% due to work. Next week I will put in more time. How many times did you do the labs? I plan on doing them twice, then labbing through Professor Messer videos then on to the technet ones. I figure if i can do all the labs without needing the manual I should be good...well maybe lol
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member Registered Member
    Only thing is theres nothing for " Configuring Ipv4". At least from what I see
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Junior Member DavidHoffmanJr's Avatar

Certifications
    I'd recommend doing the labs WAY MORE than just twice! I think that you'll absorb the information the more you do it. I'm running through the labs about 8 times already and I'm starting to remember the commands, switches etc. without having ot look ta my notes or the books. Also, I'm seeing that playing the videos on my iPhone while stuck in traffic is starting to help. I'm picking up things that I had previously missed that are fresh on my mind when I get to work that I can use to save time in handling my support tickets.

I also wnated to have an actual LAB SETUP so that other co-workers or others in my community coul duse to run their lab exercises as well if needed. I did this realizing that not eveyrone has the space, or the time to setup due to family, kids, or other contraints.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Junior Member DavidHoffmanJr's Avatar

Certifications
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+
    I'm not sure If we should study MDT 2010 or MDT 2012 version since can't download the 2010 anymore and I'm afraid the test will include 2012s features.
    Last edited by fabiog; 05-24-2013 at 04:22 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Junior Member

Certifications
    CCENT, S+ A+, ITIL Version 3 Foundation, Helpdesk Analyst
    Are the virtual labs on the first post borked for anyone else?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Learn it, Do it, Know it! Asif Dasl's Avatar

Certifications
    MCSA:2008/7 MCITP:EA/SA EDST/EST MCSE'03 SBS'08/'03 MCDST A+ N+ Sec+ Srv+ VCP5-DCV VCA-DCV/Cloud
    Yes, they are not working for me either...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MS70-680,A+,Net+,CIW Bolshevik
    Microsoft Changed up their virtual labs because they are getting ready to push their next version of windows and associated programs on everyone. I noticed there was no office in the one for AppLocker.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Junior Member DavidHoffmanJr's Avatar

Certifications
    Weird. Yesterday, I logged into Technet Virtual Labs and all the major virtual labs for 70-680 were there covering AppLocker, DISM, DMT, and a bunch of other stuff thats on the 70-680. Today, I went back to double check the link I was going to send to someone and 'POOF', there are no more hands on labs! There are other labs there, but not the ones I was about to refer to others.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Member
    I believe technet virtual labs switched to having labs for the new 2012 server so they will no longer be available. :/
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Junior Member Registered Member
    Hello all,

Like a few others mentioned, I caught this thread off of some quick Google searches due to the need to obtain the 70-680 cert. I apologize for resurrecting a thread that's been dead for four months... but I was wondering if the material posted would still be relevant? We recently just finished an enterprise-wide upgrade to windows 7 and I'm looking to do what I can to cram for the test and pass it. Any relevant or recent links, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Associate of Applied Business in Information Technology, Comptia Strata IT, MTA Infrastructure

Default Can these get updated?

I tried some of the links and they didn't work. I am planning on taking this exam in August and it would help to have them updated.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Network +, MTA: 98-366, 367,MCP, MCTS Win 7, VCP-DCV, MCSA SERVER 2012, MCTS Hyper-V
    looks nice !!!!! trying to save up some build my dream lab.hope all goes well in your studies!!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Junior Member
    I bought Don Poursons book and I think it's a good resource for passing the exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Social Networking & Bookmarks