+ Reply to Thread

Certifications
    MCSD Web Apps/SharePoint Applications, MCITP: DBA 2005/2008, EA, EDA7, Linux+, Sec+, MCSE, MCDST, MCTS

Default Mounting a VHD in Server 2008 (NOT R2) or Vista

I've been studying for the 686 beta exam and have been haing some issues using the WAIK. I posted one of my issues recently and I'm still wrking on getting it resolved. But I was trying to find a way to mount my VHDs on my existing Server 2008 system. It's not R2 so I could not do it natively using dskpart like you see in all the tutorials for the 686. I found this wonderful little article:

http://community.bartdesmet.net/blogs/bart/archive/2006/09/02/4385.aspx

And I have mounted the VHD and I am now capturing it using imagex.

EDIT!!! I posted this link by accident. How to Mount VHD Files Without Virtual PC | Gil's Method The actual article I looked at was the one in the corrected link above at communit.bartdesmet.net. Sorry.
    Last edited by RobertKaucher; 09-29-2009 at 02:11 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Junior Member

Certifications
    MCDST, MCSA, 70-685
    Looks like a nightmare without R2.

They have added an option to attach a VHD in Disk Management in R2 and 7 (alot easier than command line)

Virtual Hard Disk - Create and Attach VHD - Windows 7 Forums
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCSD Web Apps/SharePoint Applications, MCITP: DBA 2005/2008, EA, EDA7, Linux+, Sec+, MCSE, MCDST, MCTS
    Quote Originally Posted by breaker View Post
    Looks like a nightmare without R2.

They have added an option to attach a VHD in Disk Management in R2 and 7 (alot easier than command line)

Virtual Hard Disk - Create and Attach VHD - Windows 7 Forums
    No, it was quite easy. All I did was install the tool using the Virtual Server setup file and then mount it with a very easy command:
    Code:
     vhdmount.exe /m E:\WIn7\Win7.vhd
    To be honest I only read the first paragraph or so of the article as it contained the info I needed.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Crap! I posted the wrong link... This is the article I actually used.
    Offline VHD file mounting on the host operating system with Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 Beta 2 - B# .NET Blog
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    Beer+
    Interesting.

We have some archived NT VHDs that we sometimes need to pull files off of. If this would work it would save a LOT of time.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    It worked great. Showed up as N drive on my test server. This would make getting files off a VHD like that very easy.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Self-Described Huguenot blargoe's Avatar

Certifications
    VCAP5-DCA; VCP 3/4/5/6 (DCV); EMCSA:CLARiiON; Linux+; MCSE:M 2000/2003; MCSE:S 2000/2003; MCTS:Exch2007; Security+; A+; CCNA (expired)
    You can use the latest version of WinImage to open a VHD (or a VMDK)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 3/22/2017 - Passed Microsoft 70-412; 2/11/2017 - Completed VCP6-DCV (passed 2V0-621)
    Working on: MCSA 2012 upgrade from 2003 (to heck with 2008!!), more Linux, AWS Solution Architect (Associate)
    Thinking about: VCP6-CMA, MCSA 2016, Python, VCAP6-DCD (for completing VCIX)
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks