+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Senior Member

Certifications
    Beer+
    Did you take the 680, Route? It says Feb 28 in your sig.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    A+, Network+, 70-640, VCP4, VCP6-DCV
    Quote Originally Posted by drew2000 View Post
    How do you think I got to asking the question?????? BECAUSE I AM LABBING AND READING AND RUNNING INTO A PROBLEM.

Drew
    Aren't we a little defensive?

Quote Originally Posted by hyper-me
    Did you take the 680, Route? It says Feb 28 in your sig.
    I am def ready for it. I am waiting because there is a likely possibility work is going to pay for a group of us to go down to NH for a couple classes on this, and pay for vouchers. They do reimburse, but they take months to repay it back. Unless the class thing happens soon.

So I just keep playing around with everything at work, studying, reading articles, doing vlabs etc. I will just do it myself next month if it takes any longer than that, and expect my reimbursement ~July lol.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    Quote Originally Posted by RouteThisWay View Post
    Aren't we a little defensive?
    Aren't we a little offensive?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    Beer+
    This is getting good.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, 70-640, VCP4, VCP6-DCV
    Quote Originally Posted by phoeneous View Post
    Aren't we a little offensive?
    Only to the easily offended
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCTS: 70-680, MCP: 70-270, Security+, Net+, A+
    I probably go about imaging the wrong way because I use neither bootsect or bcdboot. I instead capture the system partition from my reference computer and apply it to my target computer using ImageX. Here's how it looks:

Code:
    d:\imagex /apply d:\windows.wim 1 C:
    d:\imagex /apply d:\system.wim 1 S:
    Even though it's possible, is it better to apply a system partition image in this manner? Or is it better to just create one manually in WinPE? Or does it even matter at all? I'm also new to creating and applying images for Windows 7 and would appreciate any clarification.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    Beer+
    I dont know how you're images are booting properly if you are not running bootsect after using ImageX to apply the image.

If using WDS, the bootsect is done for you by WDS, if you are using ImageX manually then the bootsect is required (at least in my experience, don't know how it wouldnt be?).
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyper-Me View Post
    if you are using ImageX manually then the bootsect is required (at least in my experience, don't know how it wouldnt be?).
    I stricly use ImageX and have never had to use bootsect.

These are the steps that I follow:

Boot with WinPE disk and run the following diskpart commands:

diskpart
    select disk 0
    clean
    create partition primary size=100
    select partition 1
    format fs=ntfs label=”system”
    assign letter=c
    active
    create partition primary
    select partition 2
    format fs=ntfs label=”windows”
    assign letter=d
    exit

Then apply the image. When capturing, the OS partition is referenced with letter D: so the /apply command looks like e:\imagex /apply f:\images\sysprep_ready_to_deploy.wim 1 d:

Then finish it up with X:\windows\system32\bcdboot d:\windows

After a reboot, the image is there and all is well.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications
    Correct, I'm only using ImageX to apply images (haven't had the pleasure of setting up WDS yet ).

I was using this tutorial for my lab. Near the bottom of the page, under the heading 'Setting up a system partition' it says how you can apply a WIM file instead of using bcdboot. I figured I'd give that method a try and have been able to successfully image a few laptops I have lying around, but whether I'm inviting some sort of impending doom to my system partitions remains to be seen. Time will tell . I'm sure I'll boot to nice a surprise one day...

Edit: Just read your post phoneous. I'll add my diskpart script as well:
    Code:
    select disk 0
    clean
    create partition primary size=300
    format quick fs=ntfs label="System"
    assign letter="S"
    active
    create partition primary
    format quick fs=ntfs label="Windows"
    assign letter="C"
    exit
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    Quote Originally Posted by apena7 View Post

Edit: Just read your post phoneous. I'll add my diskpart script as well:
    Code:
    select disk 0
    clean
    create partition primary size=300
    format quick fs=ntfs label="System"
    assign letter="S"
    active
    create partition primary
    format quick fs=ntfs label="Windows"
    assign letter="C"
    exit
    Careful with your lettering though, even though I /apply the image to D: with WinPE, after the image boots up, the main OS partition is actually C:. When I open diskmgmt, it shows the System partition but without a letter assignment.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member

Certifications
    Careful with your lettering though, even though I /apply the image to D: with WinPE, after the image boots up, the main OS partition is actually C:. When I open diskmgmt, it shows the System partition but without a letter assignment.
    Thanks. After I applied my images, I was sure to check out Disk Management. Disk 0 shows two partitions, "System (without a drive letter)" and "Windows (C: )" below is a screenshot.

Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member

Certifications
    Beer+
    Bootsect.exe updates the master boot code for hard disk partitions to switch between BOOTMGR and NTLDR. You can use this tool to restore the boot sector on your computer. This tool replaces FixFAT and FixNTFS.

I guess you only need to do it when switching between those types of boot loaders.

When learning Vista imaging a long time ago I was putting XP images on a box, then Vista, then XP (doing different tests) and I had to use bootsect to make it work. Apparently, I thought I needed this for any image. Although, it obviously doesnt hurt anything to do it anyway.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    Thanks. After I applied my images, I was sure to check out Disk Management. Disk 0 shows two partitions, "System (without a drive letter)" and "Windows (C: )" below is a screenshot.
    Nice, thats exactly what mine looks like.

Im curious, did you assign letter="C" to the windows or system partition in diskpart. And did you /apply the image to c: or d
    Last edited by phoeneous; 03-30-2010 at 01:15 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyper-Me View Post
    Bootsect.exe updates the master boot code for hard disk partitions to switch between BOOTMGR and NTLDR. You can use this tool to restore the boot sector on your computer. This tool replaces FixFAT and FixNTFS.

I guess you only need to do it when switching between those types of boot loaders.

When learning Vista imaging a long time ago I was putting XP images on a box, then Vista, then XP (doing different tests) and I had to use bootsect to make it work. Apparently, I thought I needed this for any image. Although, it obviously doesnt hurt anything to do it anyway.

I hate Vista and I'm sure it hates me. But during our initial testing phase at my last job, we used vm's so I there was no need to use bootsect.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Senior Member

Certifications
    Nice, thats exactly what mine looks like.

Im curious, did you assign letter="C" to the windows or system partition in diskpart. And did you /apply the image to c: or d
    I should have clarified my process a bit. So I captured the Windows and System partitions from my reference computer, which created two separate WIM files. Using WinPE on my target computer, I then created and labeled two partitions in diskpart - "C" for Windows partition and "S" for the System volume. Next, I applied the WIM files to their respective partitions. I exited from WinPE without entering bootsect or bcdboot commands and was able to reboot normally.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

17. Go ping yourself... phoeneous's Avatar

Certifications
    Pimp status
    I should have clarified my process a bit. So I captured the Windows and System partitions from my reference computer, which created two separate WIM files. Using WinPE on my target computer, I then created and labeled two partitions in diskpart - "C" for Windows partition and "S" for the System volume. Next, I applied the WIM files to their respective partitions. I exited from WinPE without entering bootsect or bcdboot commands and was able to reboot normally.
    Interesting.

I dont capture the system partition from my reference pc yet I create it in diskpart as C: and after the OS installs, it knows to rename the OS partition to C: as opposed to D: from diskpart and /apply.

Good to know.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Senior Member

Certifications
    Interesting.

I dont capture the system partition from my reference pc yet I create it in diskpart as C: and after the OS installs, it knows to rename the OS partition to C: as opposed to D: from diskpart and /apply.

Good to know.
    Likewise
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    OSCP, eCPPT, CCENT, CCNA, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, MCTS: Server 08 Apps Infrastructure Configuring, A+, Security+, Net+
    Nice, thank ALL of you for your input. I was very determined to get a customer's PC working without using my own CDs. I had ended up deleting an OS partition, making a Dell recovery partition inaccessible.

After toying around and finding a Factory.wim file, I was determined to make this work.

The bootsect /nt60 C: gave me an "Access is denied." error but after doing bcdboot C:\windows, the boot files were created successfully and I rebooted just fine with the recovery image proceeding as normal.

The only problem I encountered was having two "Microsoft Windows Vista" and "Windows Vista" in the BOOTMGR. Simple way to get rid of it

Again, thanks everyone. Oh, and I'm going take my 70-680 in about 2 weeks, so this was a great experience
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Security+, MCP
    This is a really excellent thread. It is a real shame that WDS does not work exactly like it should.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks