+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics
    I figured it out. I deleted the volume but rather than becoming unallocated, it became free space.

Apparently Dell didn't make it a primary partition and I'm not sure how I can convert it back.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    MCSE:Security, MCDST, A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL V3 Foundations, ITIL 2011 Intermediate: Service Transition, MOS 2007 (MCAS) BAS Computer Forensics
    I think I'll have to completely delete D: and then I should be able to reformat. Why would dell create an extended partition? It isn't needed.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    Beer+
    My word, is that one disk cut up enough?

Its in an extended partition because you can't have more than 4 primary partitions on a single disk, so there is an extended partition there to house additional logical partitions.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyper-Me View Post
    My word, is that one disk cut up enough?

Its in an extended partition because you can't have more than 4 primary partitions on a single disk, so there is an extended partition there to house additional logical partitions.
    And there only were 4. The 100mb junk one, the recovery, C:, and then D:

Problem solved. Delete the extended partition to get unallocatedspace, and then extend C:. Well, not quite that easy, had to take the page file off D so I could delete it, and back up the files of course. She decided she just wanted one large drive. And so thats what she got, even though I opposed it.

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Senior Member

Certifications
    Beer+
    multiple volumes offers little benefit when they all reside on the same disk anyway.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    multiple volumes offers little benefit when they all reside on the same disk anyway.
    What I thought was funny was that the page file was setup on the D: volume. Isn't the point of using multiple volumes so that all of the heavily used files are located near the same physical location? So wouldn't putting the page file on the other partition kind of undo that benefit?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Senior Member

Certifications
    Beer+
    Its my understanding that putting the page file on a seperate physical disk (not just a volume or partition) is done to put some of the work on a different drive, rather than making the main drive do all the regular work + page all day.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Its my understanding that putting the page file on a seperate physical disk (not just a volume or partition) is done to put some of the work on a different drive, rather than making the main drive do all the regular work + page all day.
    And is successful. But being on the same disk I don't see how it would offload any of the work. Be spacing it out, you are just adding work.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member

Certifications
    Beer+
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsbane View Post
    And is successful. But being on the same disk I don't see how it would offload any of the work. Be spacing it out, you are just adding work.
    Yeah putting it on the same physical disk, just a seperate volume or partition wouldn't do anything.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Member Extraordinaire genXrcist's Avatar

Certifications
    CCNA:V MCITP:EA/EMA2K10 MCSE:S MCSA:M MCDST A+/Net+/Sec+
    Would it not offer a performance increase since the file fragmentation of the boot partition would be unable to impact the page file partition?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Social Networking & Bookmarks