+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Thread: Failed

1. Member

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, 70-680, 70-642

Default Failed

Just attempted my 1st microsoft exam and failed with a 683

I have to say that there was a significant number of questions that contained material that wasn't in either of my books (official Microsoft and sybex)

Rough percentage i scored:
    Installing, Upgrading 100%
    Deploying Windows 7 70%
    Configuring Hardware 70%
    Configuring Network 70%
    Configuring Access to Resources 85%
    Configuring Mobile 75%
    Monitoring and Maintaining 100%
    Configring Backup 80%

I really hope i was just unlucky and had a significant number of the questions not covered in my exam.

Have got a free second shot, so isn't that bad i guess, just hope i pass that.
    Last edited by xSequentialx; 11-30-2010 at 11:02 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->

Certifications
    BSIT, Proj+, A+, Net+, Sec+: MCTS: X5; MCITP:EA
    That was close. That's the second post in the last week to fail this exam. This is a really hard test.
    I'd give myself about a week or 2 if I were you and just try to hammer on those things you didn't do as well on.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. DoWork
    A major Illinois hospital system near you

Certifications
    vExpert, VCAP5-DCA/DCD, VCP5-DCV, VCIX-NV, VCP-NV, BSTM
    Wow, those still look like decent scores. Good thing you have the free retake and you can just brush up on the stuff you know you missed and come back and hit it again.

Man, every time someone makes a post about failing this thing and the stuff not covered by the texts it really makes me feel uneasy.

Did you use anything other that the two texts like practice tests or other materials?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

5. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCTS: 70-680, MCP: 70-270, Security+, Net+, A+
    I feel your pain! Although your score is much better than mine

After failing, my strategy has been to focus on getting 100% in at least four domains, which seems much more manageable than shooting for over 700 points on the entire exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Member

Certifications
    i also used cbt nuggets, i studied pretty hard, although i have no previous experience. Must of read the book like 8 times, sybex book twice, cbt nuggets twice + labbing.

I think i know the material pretty well, but as i said no matter how long i revised, i wouldn't of done much better as it wasn't covered. Really need to use as many sources as you can, but even then i thought i had used enough.

Hardly any of the material covered powershell at the most basic syntax never mind configuring snap ins.

Think just going to book it for next week and try again. My test centre is only open on a friday, and i was actually planned for doing it on the 19th, but they had to cancel, so i moved it to the 12th. This left me time to retake on the 26th before they shut for decemember for the christmas period.

However I really don't fancy going over the same stuff for another 2 weeks, so think going to try somewhere else.

I haven't purchased any practice questions, just used the ones with the books
    Reply With Quote Quote  

7. DoWork
    A major Illinois hospital system near you

Certifications
    vExpert, VCAP5-DCA/DCD, VCP5-DCV, VCIX-NV, VCP-NV, BSTM
    Don't forget that this forum has a great sticky that has tons of useful information.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Junior Member

Certifications
    A+ | Net+ | Sec+ | ITIL | MCP | MCITP | MCTS | cKM

Default I would recommend the Examforce software

try examforce.com to get some training software for this...they do not give you the answers but the adaptive software is quite effective.

Plus, make sure you have a Virtual PC setup on your computer to practice those objective on.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE: Security, MCTS x 5, P+, S+, N+, A+, HIT
    That's a close score..probably 1 question away. Good luck!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbutler9 View Post
    try examforce.com to get some training software for this...they do not give you the answers but the adaptive software is quite effective.
    As someone who has used examforces product for W2k8 and Windows 7 i would strongly advise against them. They are way overpriced and contain poor questions.

You are better off going with Transcender/Selftest and/or Measureup. They both have specials going on at the moment. Get yourself 30 day access and read the explanations and make notes.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    VCIX-NV, VCAP5-DCD/DTA/DCA, VCP-5/DT, MCSA: 2008, MCITP: EA, MCTS x5, ITIL v3, MCSA: M, MS in Telecom Engg
    For a while examforce was classified a dump by certguard. Just checked again, seems they are good now.
    VCDX: DCV - Round 2 rescheduled (by VMware) for December 2017.

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    BSIT, Proj+, A+, Net+, Sec+: MCTS: X5; MCITP:EA
    Quote Originally Posted by Essendon View Post
    For a while examforce was classified a dump by certguard. Just checked again, seems they are good now.
    They may not be a dump anymore but I would hardly call examforce good..lol
    I've used examfarce for quite a few of my exams (mandatory because of WGU) and find them way less than satisfactory...but that's just my opinion. I think that in trying to escape te label of braindump they went too far away from being a real learning tool.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Member

Certifications
    Well just tried again and suprise suprise failed again, with exactly the same score. 683. Like 1 question away.
    got 100% in 3 areas but only got about 55-60% on deploying.

If this is whats its going to be like for all microsoft exams (ie the official book is useless) then i'll don't think i'll bother anymore. If i hadn't already paid for 2 exams before July, i would be considering whether i should retake it again.

I wouldn't mind if i hadn't put the effort in, but i have been revising for about 3 months now every day for like 5-6 hours every day.... Must of read the microsoft book over 10 times. sybex book 3 times, cbt nuggets twice, watched all the windows 7 videos on Microsoft Learning: Microsoft Silverlight Learning Snacks used technet and still failed...

I didn't want to spend any more £ on practice questions from places like selftest, and don't think you should have to to ensure you pass an exam.

Does anyone know whether the official book for 70-685 is any better?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Senior Member

Certifications
    A Few....
    Quote Originally Posted by xSequentialx View Post
    Well just tried again and suprise suprise failed again, with exactly the same score. 683. Like 1 question away.
    Sorry to hear!! I can't speak to the exam because I've never taken it... but I'm curious. Do you have any experience with the material or you're using just the study materials to retain the information? If you don't have any experience, I'd suggest you try to get a 30 day trial of 7 and tinker around with it. Take a look at the exam blueprint/outline and try to do any/everything on there to get the hands on experience. That may prove to be the difference between a fail and that pass that YOU WILL get on your next try! Don't give up... keep at it. Good luck to you. HTH.

-Peanut
    Reply With Quote Quote  

If your weakness is deploying then I think you'd need a 686 book, not 685. Have you labbed at all, or have hand-on experience? This is critical to passing any MS exam.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Member

Certifications
    Hi thanks.

i have windows 7 home premium as my main os for my computer. I have also downloaded the trial version of the win 7 enterprise edition and server 2008 and done some labs.

I don't have any actual work experience with win 7 or any other os as am currently unemployed trying to get some exams so i can get a job.

It's more the problem of just random questions not covered than not knowing specifics in greater detail (ie DISM/WDS/branchcache etc).

Will have to wait 6 weeks now before can take again, as everywhere will be closed for xmas. I just expected better from a book that is supposed to be the official microsoft book.
    Last edited by xSequentialx; 11-30-2010 at 11:03 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

I would do more labbing, much more. Since you said you've done "some labs", I guess that means you haven't done them all, so go back and do them, at least for one of the books you have. The labs are there for a reason. Even if you memorize the book word for word, you still need to do all the labs.

The exams try to evaluate your book knowledge as well as your experience. Since you read all that material, I think you already have the book knowledge down, and just need more hands-on. It's OK if you don't have work experience with it, just set up or expand your lab at home and do as much as possible.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

18. Member

Certifications
    i have done all the labs in the book several times, i have also done labs from technet with server 2008 r2 like setting up branchcache, direct access etc, offline files, bitlocker, etc

Its more just random questions as i said before. i wouldn't of learnt that from labbing, unless you're expected to go through every single node in the GPO
    Last edited by xSequentialx; 11-30-2010 at 11:04 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

19. Senior Member

Certifications
    CCNA, CCNA:Sec CCNA:Voice, A+, Project+, Sec+, Linux+, MCTS, ITIL v3, VCP-DCV
    Which publisher has the best labs? I've worked through the MCTS Self-Paced Training kit (70-680) labs, but had to go back through the book hunting down the exercises. It would be nice to just have a straight-up lab book with no wordy explanations.

The CompTIA vendor neutral exams can be easily passed with just reading, but with these Microsoft exams it is obvious that labbing is crucial.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

20. Senior Member

Certifications
    JLPT 1級; VCAP5-DCA; VCE-CIMIE
    Have you taken any practice tests over at: MCTS Exam 70-680 practice test and sample questions

?

Quite a few that I felt were a bit random and covered nowhere in either the MS Press book or Sybex.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

21. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    CCNA (1999), MCSE (2000), 70-680, 70-685
    Sorry to hear about your testing. I also tested for 70-680 a few days ago. I barely passed with a score of 700. I also spent a lot of time studying, like yourself. It was my first test on Windows 7/Windows 2008 R2, and I haven't tested in a long time.

My scores were:
    Installing, Upgrading 90%
    Deploying Windows 7 100%
    Configuring Hardware 90%
    Configuring Network 60%
    Configuring Access to Resources 70%
    Configuring Mobile 75%
    Configring Backup 100%

I had lots of questions dealing with CLI with syntax I did not recognize. I wonder if this was one of their harder test.

I have to agree with the others on studying on Deployment. I spent about three weeks on WDS, MDT, etc on a server. I built a Hyper-V as a lab machine. It's pretty cool deploying to a virtual machine from a virtual machine.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Senior Member

Certifications
    JLPT 1級; VCAP5-DCA; VCE-CIMIE

If this is whats its going to be like for all microsoft exams (ie the official book is useless) then i'll don't think i'll bother anymore. If i hadn't already paid for 2 exams before July, i would be considering whether i should retake it again.

I wouldn't mind if i hadn't put the effort in, but i have been revising for about 3 months now every day for like 5-6 hours every day.... Must of read the microsoft book over 10 times. sybex book 3 times, cbt nuggets twice, watched all the windows 7 videos on Microsoft Learning: Microsoft Silverlight Learning Snacks used technet and still failed...

I didn't want to spend any more £ on practice questions from places like selftest, and don't think you should have to to ensure you pass an exam.

Does anyone know whether the official book for 70-685 is any better?
    One thing you need to do is for every single command line utility mentioned, actually look up all the switches and review examples of each.

My impression is that many of the failures here must be glossing over that.

Another thing to do is get some more practice exams and for anything you missed or didn't know, really dig up and read as much info as you can about it.

There's a saying "You don't know what you don't know." and those practice exams are critical for helping you figure that out.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

23. Nidhoggr, the Net Serpent Claymoore's Avatar

Certifications
    AWS Architect, MCSEx3, MCITPx6, MCTSx17
    Take a look at the deployment resources in the 681 resource thread, particularly the downloadable Windows 7 deployment book and the free deployment CD from TrueSec.

Instead of another read-through of the 680 MSTK, pick up a copy of the Windows 7 Resource Kit. The Res Kit has enough information to cover all of the Windows 7 exams. The downloadable deployment book contains the deployment chapters from the Res Kit so you can get an idea of the depth in which the material is covered. I like Jeremy Moskowitz' earlier books and he has an updated group policy book that includes Windows 7 - Group Policy: Fundamentals, Security, and the Managed Desktop.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE: Security, MCTS x 5, P+, S+, N+, A+, HIT
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymoore View Post
    Instead of another read-through of the 680 MSTK, .
    hmmm...MSTK...all we are missing is some vowels

That book was a frustrating read, You might take a look at Darril's book for the 685/686. After reading that, a lot of what didn't sink in from the 680 made much more sense.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Member

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Zentraedi View Post
    One thing you need to do is for every single command line utility mentioned, actually look up all the switches and review examples of each.

My impression is that many of the failures here must be glossing over that.

Another thing to do is get some more practice exams and for anything you missed or didn't know, really dig up and read as much info as you can about it.

There's a saying "You don't know what you don't know." and those practice exams are critical for helping you figure that out.
    Theres only so much you can do though. For all the content mentioned in the book i went on technet to find more info, eg pulled the massive list of commands for usmt and played around with them etc. However there are certain commands that i didn't even know existed so how am i supposed to study them in greater detail. Again where in any of the content material does it mention about modifying powershell console commands, slmgr.vbs, driverloader.exe, etc.

I would like to be in a position to go and spend £100's on more books and practice exams, however been unemployed and trying to get this exam to get a better chance of getting a job doesn't really allow me to continuously splash on such items.

I think i'll try that windows 7 resource kit and maybe darrils book as well, seeing as can you use it for the 70-685 exam as well. Thanks.
    Last edited by xSequentialx; 11-30-2010 at 11:20 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCIE counter..993 Lab Hours.... 532 Reading.
    Just attempted my 1st microsoft exam and failed with a 683

I have to say that there was a significant number of questions that contained material that wasn't in either of my books (official Microsoft and sybex)

Rough percentage i scored:
    Installing, Upgrading 100%
    Deploying Windows 7 70%
    Configuring Hardware 70%
    Configuring Network 70%
    Configuring Access to Resources 85%
    Configuring Mobile 75%
    Configring Backup 80%

I really hope i was just unlucky and had a significant number of the questions not covered in my exam. Examples of stuff that wasn't covered - slmgr.vbs, configuring powershell snap ins, no other branchcache commands except those that weren't covered, driveryquery.exe, and several troubleshooting network scenarios.

Have got a free second shot, so isn't that bad i guess, just hope i pass that.
    Seems a little harsh to fail anyone with a breakdown like that. You have some good scores there and non of them bad. Suggest you avoid NDA break and remove the details of the test you have divulged there.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks