+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    263

    Certifications
    A+ Network+ Security +
    #1

    Default Any one Read this one: MCTS 70-680 Cert Guide

    Any one read this book? some one recommended it...

    Certification Book: MCTS 70-680 Cert Guide By Don Poulton
    Windows 7 is here to stay and getting adopted by more large businesses each day. Many of those businesses are making the transition from Windows XP after foregoing Windows Vista years back. With Windows XP having been around for so long, this means that for the first time in many years, administrators are looking at large desktop OS rollouts that often entail replacing hardware, reconfiguring applications and much more.

    To make all of this happen, the demand for certified administrators in Windows 7 is growing, and the best certification exam to start the pursuit with is 70-680 (TS: Windows 7, Configuring). To address this exam, Don Poulton has written MCTS 70-680 Cert Guide: Microsoft Windows 7, Configuring, and it is exceptional. The 18 chapters cover what you need to know -- for the real world as well as the exam world -- with plenty of tables and figures to make it understandable the first time you read it. The quizzes appear at the beginning of each chapter rather than the end, so if you know all the answers you can elect to skip that chapter. Each chapter then ends with a list of key topics and terms you should know. If I have any complaint it is that I would like to see the definitions for the key terms at the end of the chapters and not just the terms themselves. Yes, I can look them up in the glossary or look back for them in the chapter, but the lazy side of me wishes they were there.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. DoWork
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    A major Illinois hospital system near you
    Posts
    1,468

    Certifications
    vExpert, VCAP5-DCA/DCD, VCP5-DCV, VCIX-NV, VCP-NV, BSTM
    #2
    First I've heard of it. Given the other choices being riddled with errors or lacking pertinent details, I'd say another source would probably not do you any harm than the MS Press and the Sybex offerings. I'd probably pick it up for no other reasons than those.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Senior Member cyberguypr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    5,768

    Certifications
    GCFE, GCED, GCIH, CISSP, CCSP, and others that should never be mentioned
    #3
    Fairly new, Nov 2010. Subscribing in case someone reviews it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Senior Member Bokeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    1,559

    Certifications
    Mac Integration Basics 10.11, Wireless#, CWTS
    #4
    Looks like it just came out in Oct. No reviews on Amazon, BN, etc. My local BN has it in stock, so might pick it up since its 39.11, and there's a 25% off coupon from BN in my email today.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    263

    Certifications
    A+ Network+ Security +
    #5
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    65

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Server+
    #6
    I just ordered this book to study for the 70-680. Based on the poor reviews of the other books, and this book being newer (and hopefully more relevant to the current exam) i'm hoping I made a good choice.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Kanyeshna!! TheSuperRuski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    A cold dark place in Siberia...
    Posts
    240

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, MCTS:70-680
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by shaX 07 View Post
    I just ordered this book to study for the 70-680. Based on the poor reviews of the other books, and this book being newer (and hopefully more relevant to the current exam) i'm hoping I made a good choice.
    I ordered this book and it just arrived today (Super fast USPS shipping for once) I will use this and train signal for my studies, and labs of course. My plan is to sit for the test by the 11th maybe the 14th. I will re-post with my results. I hope the book helps.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  9. Livin is ez w/ I's closed
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    399

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, BCNE, CCNA, ITIL v3, AWS - CSA/CD/SA
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSuperRuski View Post
    I ordered this book and it just arrived today (Super fast USPS shipping for once) I will use this and train signal for my studies, and labs of course. My plan is to sit for the test by the 11th maybe the 14th. I will re-post with my results. I hope the book helps.
    so you're only studying for about 10 days for this test?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  10. Kanyeshna!! TheSuperRuski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    A cold dark place in Siberia...
    Posts
    240

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, MCTS:70-680
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Sounds Good View Post
    so you're only studying for about 10 days for this test?
    No, i have been using Train Signal for about two weeks or so. I was going to watch the entire series once and then follow along the second time as they walk you through the labs, until I heard of a this new book.

    I also studied for this test a few months ago(I have also used Win 7 everyday since June) but after all the errors and missing commands from the MS press book I said later. Plus i was looking for a job and awaiting the arrival of a new born so my plate was full. That was back in June. I didn't get my Net+ until Nov and my Security+ until this month.

    I am catching up on to my goal though. If i pass this one by the 11th, that`ll be 3 certs in 3 months.
    Last edited by TheSuperRuski; 01-01-2011 at 12:45 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  11. Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    65

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Server+
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSuperRuski View Post
    No, i have been using Train Signal for about two weeks or so. I was going to watch the entire series once and then follow along the second time as they walk you through the labs, until I heard of a this new book.

    I also studied for this test a few months ago(I have also used Win 7 everyday since June) but after all the errors and missing commands from the MS press book I said later. Plus i was looking for a job and awaiting the arrival of a new born so my plate was full. That was back in June. I didn't get my Net+ until Nov and my Security+ until this month.

    I am catching up on to my goal though. If i pass this one by the 11th, that`ll be 3 certs in 3 months.
    How are you liking this book so far? I'm still in the 1st chapter but I like the book thus far. The material is presented well and easy to follow...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  12. Kanyeshna!! TheSuperRuski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    A cold dark place in Siberia...
    Posts
    240

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, MCTS:70-680
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by shaX 07 View Post
    How are you liking this book so far? I'm still in the 1st chapter but I like the book thus far. The material is presented well and easy to follow...
    It's not bad at all. The tests at the beginning of the chapter are a little unorthodox but I take them twice so it seems to be helping. I like the tables that you have to fill out at the end of the chapters. That was a nice touch. Tomorrow and Thursday I will try to folow the lab to do a system deployment. Hopefully it will go better than the MS press books.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  13. Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    65

    Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Server+
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSuperRuski View Post
    It's not bad at all. The tests at the beginning of the chapter are a little unorthodox but I take them twice so it seems to be helping. I like the tables that you have to fill out at the end of the chapters. That was a nice touch. Tomorrow and Thursday I will try to folow the lab to do a system deployment. Hopefully it will go better than the MS press books.
    Keep us posted man, sounds like it's a good book so far.

    I'm just now installing Microsoft Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode on my Windows 7 Professional Laptop.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  14. Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    La$ Vega$
    Posts
    104

    Certifications
    A+ (Life&CE); Network+ (Life&CE); CNE 4.11; CNE 5; MCP; MCDST; Security+ (Life&CE), Web Web Design Specialist; CCNA
    #13
    I hope its good. Just ordered it.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  15. Senior Member za3bour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Santa Cruz, USA
    Posts
    984

    Certifications
    BS:Electrical Engineering,DRE, AMBCI, MCITP-EA,SA, MCP, CCNA
    #14
    I recommend that you get the MS Self Study book as well even if this book is better/newer.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  16. Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Adelaide, AU
    Posts
    17

    Certifications
    70-680, A+, MCSA, Hyper-V
    #15
    I know it's an old thread but didn't want to start a new one. Reviews seem to be really good now after all these years. My question is, is it accurate?? I read in here and generally in reviews about other books that they are outdated, missing a few bits and pieces here and there. Also, the CD with the practice exam is it like a simulation of the real one or just easy questions to help you understand the material??
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks