+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Thread: Passed with 918

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, MCTS:70-680

Talking Passed with 918

KANYESHNA!!!!! lol. That will be 3 certs in 3 months for me. I am on point. Microsoft is horrible by the way. That pause when you finish your test for the first time is ridiculously long. AND THEN...it takes you back to the first question asking for comments. I thought the test went down and I had to do it all over again lol. But it is finally over and I can relax this weekend. Before tackling some more WGU certs.

So for a detailed review(As promised) of what I used and how effective it was(I thought that prompted for a new thread) Here we go....

Train Signal (Primary Source)Extremely informative, I really enjoyed how in the first videos it outlines the hardware you will need to do the labs. The way they focus the exam objectives around a fictitious company Globomantics(The way Microsoft uses contoso) was helpful for me because it gave all the objectives a real world application as to when you would use it in the real world and helped cement the idea in my mind.

MCTS Book by Don Poulton (Secondary Primary source) I personally thought the exam in the book was harder than the actual test. Not the chapter exams, the exam on the CD. With that being said, I would say if you can pass the test on the CD, you can pass the actual exam. Not the "golden ticket"(In my eyes but then again i used a lot of resources) like Darril Gibsons book but a close second. I really enjoyed the pre-test format of the book. Each chapter began with a pre-test that would help you determine if you should read the entire chapter, a section of the chapter or just skip to the review topics point in the chapter. Every chapter also included a memory table with keywords that you were asked to fill out from memory. I did that for every chapter and it really helped when I saw questions I didn't recognize but could eliminate due to knowing exactly what a option was or what it did.

CBT Nuggets (Second Source)
    I used these primarily because the instructor in Train Signal, although very helpful, was a bit dry at times. The instructor of CBT Nuggets was kind of like Professor Messer in the Net+ videos. He opens with a joke and to me it helped keep me focused, and laugh at times. Especially the story about his sisters diary lol. I didn't watch the entire series so I can't really review them for this test, but I did watch them for the deployment section. I used it to follow along for the labs. And I watched a few videos scattered around. Besides some pretty spotty handwriting they are good videos.

Professor Messer Videos (Review Source) As stated I used these videos as review videos but they could be used for main source study if you had a good book and did labs. Not currently though, because he is still adding videos. I was lucky enough that he JUST added Resource Access to the collection.

Miscellaneous material (Review/Passing the time material) I had a Mega Guide from Prep Logic I bought awhile ago when they had a sale on them for 1 dollar a piece. I used the upward mobility app on my ipod, only did about 50 questions or so. Not so bad to pass the time on the subway or wherever you are.

I current operate Win7 64bit Ultimate edition and I have worked with it in the field for about 6 months so I am no stranger to how things operate on the system. One thing I had to figure out again was IE since I use Firefox and Opera web browsers on the norm. There were about 2 or 3 questions that I had no clue about. Maybe I forgot them or they were Beta questions.

My print out:
    BG_70-680.jpg

Well I think that covers everything...I hope this review was helpful.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    A+
    Congrats and thanks for the info! you killed it!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCSE: Security, MCTS x 5, P+, S+, N+, A+, HIT
    Congrats! That's a solid score.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Thanks. I feel like if I try to learn anything for the next day or so, it will go in one ear and out the other lol
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    OSCP, eCPPT, CCENT, CCNA, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, MCTS: Server 08 Apps Infrastructure Configuring, A+, Security+, Net+
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSuperRuski View Post
    Thanks. I feel like if I try to learn anything for the next day or so, it will go in one ear and out the other lol
    Congrats and thanks for the information. I took it twice, got the same exact questions and answers (not even 0.1% different). I failed twice with a 600, even marking different answers both times with the same questions (coincidently).

I'll go ahead and pick back up on CBT Nuggets. I used the MCTS Self Paced Training Kit alone. CBT nugget videos started boring me but I guess I'll force myself to watch them again .
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA:S, MCTS, MCITP, C|EH, CHFI, A/N/Sec+
    Awesome score, congrats! Thanks for your review of the resources you used, as well. Will be very helpful in the near future.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

8. Member

Certifications
    BS:Informatics, ITILV3F, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, Security+
    Impressive score! Congrats!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

9. Senior Member

Certifications
    CompTIA Trifecta: (A+, Network+, Security+)
    Thank you for the reviews on your resources, very helpful for those who will be taking it this year. Nice to know Poulton's book worked out well for ya.

I will probably use Poulton's book as my primary book resource since I heard the MS Press book has loads of erratas. Then will use DG's 70-685/786 book as the supplement.

Congrats again on a job well done!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

10. Junior Member Registered Member

Certifications
    A+
    This is helping motivate me to study. I get bored so fast reading this stuff. Have an awesome weekend you earned it.
    Last edited by Quagmire; 01-14-2011 at 09:25 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

11. Livin is ez w/ I's closed

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, BCNE, CCNA, ITIL v3, AWS - CSA/CD/SA
    lol. i see your amazon review. i'm gonna pick this book up just cuz you recommended it and it seems like the only valid book source worth buying.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

12. Senior Member

Certifications
    A+, Net+, Sec+, MCTS: Win7
    Congrats on the pass! I've gone through the MS Press book and am now in the middle of the CBT Nugget series to try and drill more things in. Definitely had to go over the Deployment section several times to try and get that down, as the MS book completely failed me in that regard and probably made things worse rather than helped as I didn't have any prior experience with the material.

I'm going to follow up the CBT series with the Professor Messer videos as well since I used those for A+ and Network+ and enjoyed them heavily and found them easy to follow. I'm glad to hear that Don Poulton's book seems to be well written, as if I'm still having some knowledge gaps I'm definitely going to pick up that book and see how it goes. Hoping for a Feb 5th exam date!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

13. Senior Member

Certifications
    CompTIA Trifecta: (A+, Network+, Security+)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sounds Good View Post
    lol. i see your amazon review. i'm gonna pick this book up just cuz you recommended it and it seems like the only valid book source worth buying.
    haha i see it too now, TechExam comrades reprezent!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

14. Junior Member
    Impressive score!
    Congrats and thanks for info. I used the MCTS Self Paced Training Kit but I think the MCTS Book by Don Poulton is better choice.
    Enjoy the weekend, you deserve it!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

15. Audentis Fortuna Iuvat veritas_libertas's Avatar

Certifications
    eCPPT, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CISSP, CCNA (expired), MCTS
    Nice score!
    Currently working on: Resting
    Reply With Quote Quote  

16. Just Married!

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, CIW Pro, Web designer, JavaScript, and Database, 70-680, CCNA, CCNA Security
    Great job! That book looks good... just wish the kindle version wasn't $35. I'm going to take the test again myself in February.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    MCITP- Server Admin, MCTS- Network Infrastructure, MCTS- Active Directory, MCTS- Windows 7, CCNA, Sec+, Proj+, Net+, A+, CIW Found. V5, Java
    Very nice!! Great score!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Thanks guys. I wish I was relaxing but I just started training for some level 1 ATM support. Another avenue I didn't expect to go down lol.

Good luck to those that plan to take the test in the near future.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    CCNA, MCP/MCTS,ITILv2 , Sec+ , VCA ( DCV & WM )......and miles to go b4 i sleep..
    Well Done SuperRuski - thanks a lot for your feedback and resources analysis .

Taking mine by the 2nd Week of Feb and hopefully should kill it off before taking the beast

Wat are you on to next after the 680
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2017

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr IT View Post
    Well Done SuperRuski - thanks a lot for your feedback and resources analysis .

Taking mine by the 2nd Week of Feb and hopefully should kill it off before taking the beast

Wat are you on to next after the 680
    Thanks, I will pretend like I know what the Beast is. I am assuming its a server cert, maybe about Active Directory lol, I am not sure.

As far as whats up next, two avenues really...
    I want to get two more certs (Project+, CCNA) before I enroll into WGU for BA in IT:security. They took out CCNA security and unfortunately, I was actually looking forward to studying for it and obtaining that knowledge. I might just take it anyway lol

The other....Maybe going to get the 685 and/or 686. I am still doing research as to where those certs can lead me. I am trying my hardest not to get certs just to get them.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, MCTS 70-680, MCITP:EA or MCSA:WS2K8, Bachelor of Science, IT - Networks Design and Management
    Congrats Comrade!

Question, out of CBT Nuggets and TS, which of the two helped you the most, do you feel?

Also, I will probably still get the Kindle version of the book you used, but will stick to the normal uCertify/Transcenders for Practice Exams. I have always found the tests to come with CDs to be junk (IMO). My feeling is at least if I pay for the practice exams and use them after study, I feel like I have a real shot. (Just my opinion.) It will be months since I take this exam, but you are bookmarked.

Well Done!!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

22. Senior Member

Certifications
    Security+, ITIL Foundations, ITIL OSA
    Quote Originally Posted by erpadmin View Post
    Congrats Comrade!

Question, out of CBT Nuggets and TS, which of the two helped you the most, do you feel?

Also, I will probably still get the Kindle version of the book you used, but will stick to the normal uCertify/Transcenders for Practice Exams. I have always found the tests to come with CDs to be junk (IMO). My feeling is at least if I pay for the practice exams and use them after study, I feel like I have a real shot. (Just my opinion.) It will be months since I take this exam, but you are bookmarked.

Well Done!!
    100% get TS over CBT for the 70-680.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    A+, Network+, Security+, Project+, MCTS 70-680, MCITP:EA or MCSA:WS2K8, Bachelor of Science, IT - Networks Design and Management
    Quote Originally Posted by Repo Man View Post
    100% get TS over CBT for the 70-680.

After rereading the Comrade's post, that does seem like a good call. Plus, it comes with Transcenders.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

24. Senior Member
    Ruski awesome job! My apologizes for not getting this congratz out sooner! I have been super busy with parenting duties and in my free time a little NFL or SQL. I have this potential job and it requires moderate SQL skills and some knowledge of programming languages, not programming.

So again gratz on the awesome score and certification!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

25. Senior Member

Certifications
    MCTS: 70-680, MCP: 70-270, Security+, Net+, A+
    Congrats on the pass and thanks for the reviews!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

26. Senior Member

Certifications
    Currently Studying for MCDST
    Whats the deployment section in Doultons book like any good?
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Social Networking & Bookmarks