+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. Senior Member 4_lom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Capital Wasteland
    Posts
    478

    Certifications
    BAA: Network Administration | AAS: IT | MCSA: Server 2012, Office 365, Win 7, Win 8 | MCITP: EDST, EDA | CCNA | CompTIA CompTIA A+, N+ P+, S+
    #1

    Default Troubles with imaging Windows 7

    So after applying an image with imagex several times with several different images, I keep getting an error that the bootmgr is missing. So I boot into recovery console one the machine and run bcdboot c:\windows and the problem is fixed. My question is: what am I doing wrong during the imaging process that causes the image to either not be added to the bcd store? Or is it something entirely different. Here is the basic process I use:

    1)Capture the image and copy to a share
    2)Boot to winpe on the pc that I want to deploy the image to
    3)map the share
    4)run diskpart to create partitions, format, and mark as active
    5)copy the image file to the local machine
    6)apply the image with imagex

    I will provide exact commands I use if needed. But just from looking at my process, does anything look wrong?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  2. SS -->
  3. Member nycid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    71

    Certifications
    A+ Net + Sec +
    #2
    I *think* you need to initialize the BCD??? I'm not 100%

    Last step would be.... C:\windows\system32\bcdboot C:\windows

    Don't hold me to it...
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  4. Senior Member 4_lom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Capital Wasteland
    Posts
    478

    Certifications
    BAA: Network Administration | AAS: IT | MCSA: Server 2012, Office 365, Win 7, Win 8 | MCITP: EDST, EDA | CCNA | CompTIA CompTIA A+, N+ P+, S+
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by nycid View Post
    I *think* you need to initialize the BCD??? I'm not 100%

    Last step would be.... C:\windows\system32\bcdboot C:\windows

    Don't hold me to it...
    But is this a required step? I don't remember any documentation I've read on the subject ever say anything about having to initialize the bcd. But yes, that's how I was able to fix it. But I had to do it from the recovery console. I guess doing right after applying the image isn't much extra work.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  5. Member nycid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    71

    Certifications
    A+ Net + Sec +
    #4
    a quick google search gave me this:

    Step-by-Step: Basic Windows Deployment for IT Professionals

    towards the bottom... Seems logical to me
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  6. Senior Member 4_lom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Capital Wasteland
    Posts
    478

    Certifications
    BAA: Network Administration | AAS: IT | MCSA: Server 2012, Office 365, Win 7, Win 8 | MCITP: EDST, EDA | CCNA | CompTIA CompTIA A+, N+ P+, S+
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by nycid View Post
    a quick google search gave me this:

    Step-by-Step: Basic Windows Deployment for IT Professionals

    towards the bottom... Seems logical to me
    Excellent! Thanks man. That's exactly what I was looking for
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  7. Senior Member kriscamaro68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,148

    Certifications
    MCSA: 2012R2, MCS: Server Virtualization, MCTS-Win7, Security+, Server+, Net+, A+
    #6
    Yes doing that step is required.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

  8. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    48

    Certifications
    MCTS: 70-680 Win7; MCITP: 70-685 EDST
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by 4_lom View Post
    But is this a required step? I don't remember any documentation I've read on the subject ever say anything about having to initialize the bcd. But yes, that's how I was able to fix it. But I had to do it from the recovery console. I guess doing right after applying the image isn't much extra work.
    Yes it is required, its the last and final step. After doing that you wont have that problem anymore.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks