+ Reply to Thread
  1. Member

Certifications
    Network+, Security+

Default a little guidance please

So I just got net+ certified and wanted to get my mcsa in windows 8.1. Now I have already taken courses on mcsa and mcse for windows 8.1. I have the course books, but I really do not like them. Does anyone have a good suggestion for study guide material? Prefer books.

I also have transcender which came with the books purchase, and I took some practice questions and noticed a lot of power shell related questions. Does anyone have a good reference for learning those?
    Reply With Quote Quote  

2. SS -->
  3. Learn it, Do it, Know it! Asif Dasl's Avatar

Certifications
    MCSA:2008/7 MCITP:EA/SA EDST/EST MCSE'03 SBS'08/'03 MCDST A+ N+ Sec+ Srv+ VCP5-DCV VCA-DCV/Cloud
    You have the official Microsoft courseware?

These are the MS Press books for MCSA: Windows 8.1

Exam Ref 70-687: Configuring Windows 8.1: Joli Ballew: 9780735684775: Amazon.com: Books

http://www.amazon.com/Exam-Ref-70-68.../dp/0735684731

The only non MS Press book that's probably useful for the exam is released in September... no word on 70-688 though

MCSA 70-687 Cert Guide: Configuring Microsoft Windows 8.1: Don Poulton, Randy Bellet, Harry Holt: 9780789748799: Amazon.com: Books
    Reply With Quote Quote  

4. Member

Certifications
    Network+, Security+
    Yeah I have the official 20687C and 20688C courseware. I don't like them because they're geared towards a classroom experience and expect trainers/teachers to expand on most of the material discussed within the book.

I just ordered the book by Joli Ballew with my credit card reward $ so we'll see how that is. Wish that other book was already released, kinda wanna get certified by the end of August.

Thanks for the help!
    Reply With Quote Quote  

Certifications
    B.S. in Information Technology, A.A.S. in Electronics and Computer Technology, MCITP 7, MCSA 8.1, A+, P+, N+, S+, and a ton of CIW' s
    I am really not understanding why most of the books from the usual authors aren't out yet for 8.1. It's been almost 3 months since Microsoft upgraded their testing to include 8.1 and there isn't any good MCSA 8.1 study books out there. In-side out series doesn't cut it in my opinion for the exams. CBT nuggets also leaves much to be desired, since most of it is based on 8 not 8.1. The updates to the videos are not that great and Tim Warner keeps talking speculating about the "Blue" update (8.1).

I would start with this Explore Windows 8.1 - Features, Store, FAQ, Windows To Go | TechNet and then move onto a book or maybe CBT Nuggets and Labs to help re-enforce the areas that don't make a lot of since. I have never liked the books for any Microsoft exams. They cover some, but never really cover all that you may run across in the exam. I never really enjoyed reading a 600+ page book about Micro$oft anyways.

Hope this helps
    Reply With Quote Quote  

6. Member

Certifications
    Network+, Security+
    Yeah I think I'm gonna have to rely on Technet along with Joli's book and my courseware book. Yeah, I just got Joli's book btw, which is better than the courseware at least. I'll see where I am at the end of the month.

I'll just look through the objectives and try to make a checklist. I can get most of the scenario stuff, it's just that if I'm asked for specific commands in questions I'll for sure be screwed.

I may just get my A+ since I know about computers, but not as in depth as I could know. I can do CCENT and CCNA afterwords and tackle this once some decent resources have arisen. Technet isn't my idea of a good resource, plus I like to highlight stuff in my learning process.

Appreciate the responses.
    Reply With Quote Quote  

+ Reply to Thread

Social Networking & Bookmarks